优定义网

所谓“留美学生演讲辱华”的演讲稿全文,中英文对照

迟宇涵 发表于 2018-6-6 20:51:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
1.jpg
Good afternoon faculty, students, parents and friends.
各位教职员工们,同学们,家长们,朋友们,大家下午好。

I am truly honored andgrateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017.

能够作为2017届毕业生的学生代表在今天马里兰大学的毕业典礼上发表演讲,我感到非常荣幸。

People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?

人们经常问我:你为什么要来马里兰大学啊?

I always answer: Fresh air.

我通常都会回答他们:因为新鲜空气。

Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away.

五年前,当我乘坐的航班降落在达拉斯机场,走出机舱的那一刻,我准备戴上我五个口罩中的其中一个。但是当我呼吸了第一口美国的空气时,我就把我的口罩收起来了。

The air was so sweet and fresh, and utterly luxurious.

这里的空气是那么的甘甜,新鲜和极度奢侈(utterly luxurious)。

I was surprised by this. Igrew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a face mask every time I wentoutside, otherwise, I might get sick.

我感到非常惊讶。我在中国的某一个城市长大(编者注:发言人是云南昆明人),在那里每一次外出我都需要带上口罩,要不然我可能就会生病。

However, the moment Iinhaled and exhaled outside the airport,I felt free.

而在机场,当我呼吸到新鲜空气的那一刻,我感受到了自由。

No more fog on my glasses,no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.

我的眼镜片上再也没有了雾气,呼吸也不再困难,我再也没有了压迫。

Every breath was a delight.As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom.

每一次呼吸都是一种快乐。我现在站在这里,就情不自禁回忆起那种自由的感觉来。

At the University of Maryland, I will soon feel another kind of fresh air for which I will beforever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.

在马里兰大学,我很快感受到了另一种“新鲜空气”,一种我永远都心存感激的“新鲜空气”,那就是言论自由。

Before I came to the UnitedStates, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, butthese words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.

在来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了美国的《独立宣言》,但在当时,“生命”,“自由”以及“追求快乐”这些字眼对我来讲是没有什么意义的。

I was merely memorizing thewords to get good grades.

我背诵这些词汇只是简单的因为我想要拿到一个好的分数。  

These words sounded sostrange, so abstract and foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.

这些词汇对我而言非常奇怪、抽象和陌生,直到我来到了马里兰大学。

I have learned the right tofreely express oneself is sacred in American.

我了解到,在美国,自由表达言论的权利是神圣的。

Each day in Maryland, I wasencouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues.

在马大的每一天,我都受到鼓舞,对有争议的事件发表自己的看法。

I could challenge astatement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.

我可以挑战我的导师发表的言论,我甚至可以在网上给我的教授们评分。

But nothing prepared me forthe culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of theplay— Twilight: Los Angeles.

但是当我第一次看到由我们学校制作的《暮光之城:洛杉矶》(Twilight: Los Angeles)时,我感受到的文化冲击是巨大的。

Twilight is a play by AnnaDeavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots.

这个剧是由Anna Deavere Smith创作的,讲述的是1992年发生在洛杉矶的一次暴动事件。

The riots followed acquittalof four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating ofRodney King.

事件起因是四名洛杉矶警察逮捕并暴力殴打了一名超速的黑人出租车司机Rodney King,这一切被摄像头拍下。而这四名警察却被无罪释放。随后就引起了暴动。

For six days, the city wasin chaos as citizens took to the streets.

长达六天的时间里,整个洛杉矶沉浸在混乱当中,市民们纷纷上街抗议。

In Twilight, the studentactors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.

在这部剧里,学生演员公开谈论种族歧视、性别歧视和政治观点。

I was shocked, I neverthought such topic could be discussed openly.

我当时震惊了,我从来没有想过这样的话题是可以公开讨论的。

The play was my first tasteof political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically.

这个剧是我第一次接触到有关政治性事件的讲述,它可以让台下的观众辩证地思考问题。

I have always had a burningdesire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that onlyauthorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth.

我一直对讲述这样的事件有一种强烈的欲望,但是我原本一直以为只有当局才有资格讲述,才能界定真相。

However, the opportunity toimmerse myself in the perse community at the University of Maryland exposedme to various, many different perspectives on truth.

然而,马大给了我机会,让我沉浸在多元化的群体中,能够接触各种各样的不同的观点,了解真相。

I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely.

我很快意识到,在这里,我可以自由发表自己的观点。

My voice matters.

我的声音很重要。

Your voice matters.

你的声音很重要。

Our voices matter.

我们的声音都很重要。

Civil engagement is not atask just for politicians. I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow studentsmarching in Washington DC, voting in thepresidential election and raising money to support various causes.

参政议政不再只是政客们的事情,我亲眼见证了我的同学在华盛顿市区游行,在大选期间投出自己的一票,为各种各样的理由募捐等等。

I have seen that everyonehas a right to participate and advocate for change.

每一个人都有为社会的改变而参与其中并发声的权利。

I used to believe that one inpidual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.

我之前以为一个单独的个体是不足以改变什么的,但是看看我们,我们是一个强大的团体。

Together, we can push oursociety to be more just, open and peaceful.

我们一起努力,可以推动整个社会朝一个更公平,开放和和平的方向发展。

Class of 2017, we aregraduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education thatnurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity.

2017届的毕业生们,我们从一个倡导文科教育的大学毕业,是她培养了我们的批判性思维,也教会我们关心人性的种种。

We are equipped with theknowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face  the challenges of our society.

我们满载各个学科的知识出发,我们已经准备好了去面对社会当中的各种挑战。

Some of us may go tograduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin ajourney of exploration.

我们中有部分学生会继续念研究生,有些会步入各个专业领域,有些则走上了探索的征程。

But no matter what we do,remember, democracy and free speech should not be taken for granted.

但是无论我们未来做什么,请记住,不要把民主和言论自由视为理所当然的事情。

Democracy and freedom arethe fresh air that is worth fighting for.

民主和言论自由是值得我们为之奋斗的“新鲜空气”。

Freedom is oxygen. Freedomis passion. Freedom is love.

自由是氧气,是激情,是爱。

And as a French philosopherJean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice, our future is dependent on thechoices we make today and tomorrow.

正如法国的哲学家Jean Paul Sartre所说:自由是一种选择,我们的未来都建立在我们今日和明日所作的一个个选择上。

We are all playwrights ofthe next chapters of our lives. Together, we write the human history.

我们都是自己人生的下一个篇章的作者,也让我们一起,共同谱写人类历史。

My friends, enjoy the freshair and never ever let it go.

我的朋友们,尽情享受这新鲜空气吧,千万别让它溜了。

Thank you.

谢谢大家。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

精华推荐
  • 一个人开始废掉的3种迹象

    一个人开始废掉的3种迹象

  • 从零到60秒的惬意冰镇啤酒

    从零到60秒的惬意冰镇啤酒

  • 马云、马化腾、王石都弃之不用的人,有一个共同点

    马云、马化腾、王石都弃之不用的人,有一个

  • 哥特式高迪凳子

    哥特式高迪凳子

  • 千亿小米,雷军逆袭

    千亿小米,雷军逆袭

  • 她一战赚了几十亿,她说:世界上最好的生意有三种

    她一战赚了几十亿,她说:世界上最好的生意有

  • 雷军:合伙人比制度更重要!

    雷军:合伙人比制度更重要!

  • 一个美美的令人喜欢的自行车铃

    一个美美的令人喜欢的自行车铃

QQ客服热线
QQ:1090281100 周一至周日:09:00 - 21:00
WeChat:dianlingkeji
Email:kaixin1069@vip.qq.com

优定义logo

勿要吝啬你无形资产,请为创新续源,知识、点子、灵感、经验、需求等均是创新源泉,你不经意的一句话将是另一个人的灵感。明天的明天,还有明天,我们应该把握今天,每一个今天,都有一个新的事物在出现,今天的漠视明天的落后,不浪费每一个学习的时刻,学习助力非凡。

技术支持 Discuz! X3.4 - 3.5 beta © 2001-2018 Comsenz Inc.

小黑屋|手机版|优定义 ( 粤ICP备16085288号-2 )|申请友链|网站地图

粤公网安备 44011102001144 号 GMT+8, 2018-10-17 14:03 , Processed in 0.089071 second(s), 29 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表